Sunday, July 5, 2009

Breathing Treatments



We give Kaleb his tobi breathing treatments two times a day. One in the morning and one at night before he goes to bed. This is the second time around he's had to do them. At first he would throw a fit and not want the mask on his face at all. He has gotten so much better at it now and will sit and do it most of the time. He is after all just a baby so sometimes he is fussy and fights us on it. I just stop the machine and pull ourselves together for a few minutes before we try again. What we find works best for Kaleb is to sit him in his bouncy chair while we do it. It seems like when we hold him while we do it he squirms and fusses more frequently. When he sits in his bouncy chair he watches us talking to him and I sing songs to him. We also bring some of his toys like his rattles and stuffed animals to occupy him if he gets upset. I think the biggest thing is to keep him entertained while he has to sit there, he gets bored. Another trick that works for Kaleb is to give him his pacifer, let him suck on it and then put the mask over his face. Usually he will fall asleep when we do the night time treatment while sucking on his "binky" as I rock his bouncy chair up and down lightly. Not every treatment is absolutely perfect but neither is Kaleb...or me for that matter lol I stopped worrying myself so much over doing it absolutely perfect and him getting every single little puff the machine blows out. He is just a baby and except for the times he falls asleep that just isn't possible for him. I think he does really great for his age, he is only 9 months old and sits there like a champ most of the time!

3 comments:

  1. OH! What a good baby boy!
    I know I have had to give treatments to many of my kids when they were babies and often it was a struggle. (I used to wait until they were napping, esp when they were on a good schedule)
    I would bet that eventually your sweet guy will get so used to it that it will be a little easier. (I hope)

    ps Thanks so much for stopping by today and saying "hi" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little man and a trooper! I hope that his treatments will soon become habit and a breeze. Love the pics of him sitting up and smiling! Stopping in from SITS to say hi!

    ReplyDelete