Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Traveling

Traveling with my son who has CF is always worrisome and challenging. Just packing is a huge chore. It feels like we take half the house when we just go to New Orleans for his cf appointment for a day. So, you can imagine how my stress level has risen as I'm getting things ready to be away for 5 days. We are going to my dad's for 4th of July and I'm very excited about it. A lot of worry comes along with that excitment though.

We will be about 10 hours away from Kaleb's CF center. I am armed and ready with his cf doctor's cell phone number but still this makes me paranoid. I have looked up the closest CF center where we will be and put the number in my cell phone just to ease my mind a little. I have also called my cousin who has a seven year old and got the number to their pediatrician. I don't think anything will happen but if it does I am ready.

I am calling his CF doctor today and letting him know we are going out of town. I figured he should know and I know he will make me feel 100% better. He is always very encouraging and I think he'll put my mind at ease.

Sick people are always another endless worry. I've already told my family ahead of time, if anyone is sick we cannot bring Kaleb. I've also reminded them about washing hands and that he cannot be around any smokers. It may sound harsh but it's necessary. Sick people in stores and public places are the normal for us. Smokers standing outside of a place we are going into are sadly, normal as well. All we can do is take Kaleb away from it. I know I sound like a worry wart but I really don't believe I am. Kaleb does anything a normal child does when it comes to fun and play. I don't want him to miss out on anything but at the same time if someone is coughing their head off, we leave....I think that is the smart thing to do. If we go to the playground and a kid's nose is running with snot down to his mouth...it is definetly time to evacuate! Abandon ship! lol

Packing. Oh the joy of packing half our house... Vest machine, machine for his nebulizers, enzymes, Tobi, the dreaded applesauce, vitamins, zantac, syringes, nebs, bowl to sanitize nebs in, vital junior, gatorade, salt, lots of salty snacks, sponge to clean only his stuff, his cups, children's ibproferin, a few hand towels to lay on counter to dry his nebs on, toys, clothes & extra clothes, his pad thing that folds out and I change his diapers on, lots of diapers, wipes, food for him that I think my dad won't have, culturelle almost forgot it, his shampoo, toothbrush, gas medicine, oragel cause he's got the last of his teeth coming in, his puppy, blanket, pillow, extra prescriptions just in case, zip lock bags, plus all of our stuff. Whew! I think thats it but I always forget something lol

While there is quite a bit to worry about I think it's well worth all the trouble. I am so excited for everyone to see Kaleb! I'll survive! :D I don't think any of these reasons are good enough to stop us from traveling. It might take a little more effort than usual but if Kaleb sees CF stopping us from doing things just imagine how that would effect him. I don't even want CF to stop him from anything! Dream big, the world is his!

No comments:

Post a Comment